Your child’s well-being is really important to us and we want to make sure that they are sun safe whilst they are in our care. I thought that I would take this opportunity to raise awareness of how we wish to support your child in school; after all, the hot weather should be a pleasurable time for the children to enjoy the outdoor spaces in school.
This is how we would like to work with you:
At St Margaret’s Primary we will ensure that your child:
- Takes regular water breaks to stay hydrated and have free use of the toilet spaces. We will provide opportunities for water bottles to be refilled.
- Please can you provide a clean water bottle with fresh water each day
- Has opportunities to self-administer sun cream; younger children in EYFS may have adult help if parent/carer gives permission
- Please can you apply sun cream to your child as part of their daily dressing for school routine. Any sun cream brought into school should be clearly labelled with your child’s name and class; if you wish to give parent consent please put this in writing in a bag with your child’s sun cream if your child is in EYFS.
- Children need to be shown at home how to reapply their own sunscreen if you wish them to do this. Children must not use other children’s sun cream. The school cannot provide or apply sun cream for children.
- Wears their sun glasses and their sun hat to protect their eyes during play time and during outdoor PE lessons.
- Please can you provide a sun hat and sun glasses that are suitable for open play and PE lessons, i.e they will not fall off your child’s head or face when they are actively participating and name the items.
- Receives advice and guidance on how to keep sun safe during their PSHE/ PE lessons and through assemblies. Here children will be reminded about the importance of looking after themselves during hot weather.